Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Before the love of photography...

1984: born in Sarawak, Malaysia. Grew up appreciating Malaysian cuisine.


1993: moved to Auckland, New Zealand with my family. "For a better education" as mum and dad would say. My love for Malaysian cuisine grows stronger. 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder' as they say.


2002: Met my husband, Federico, of Argentine descent. 


2005: After graduating from the University of Auckland, moved to Wellington, New Zealand to continue with post-graduate studies in Information Systems. Here in the very cultured city of Wellington, I developed a strong love for great coffee, rustic cafes and wine.


2006: Travelled to Malaysia with my husband. Introduced him to the food of my roots.


2007: Travelled to Argentina with my husband for 2 months. Empanadas, paella, Dulce de leche, vino... developed a love for South American cuisine and culture.


2009: Purchased our first DSLR, Canon EOS 400D. 


2010: Got married at Soljans Wine Estate, a vineyard in Auckland, New Zealand. Developed a love for professional photography. Enrolled into a Professional Photography Diploma course with The Photography Institute of New Zealand. 


Sold our 400D and bought a Canon EOS 7D (I mainly shoot my food with a Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS USM lens).


Nov 2010: Relocated to Toronto, Ontario, Canada due to my husband's secondment with work. 


2011: Right now, I am still working through my photography course, while practising my skills in photography ...food photography especially. I also love to cook and bake. With the passion for these few things, I have decided to start a blog so here I am.


My ultimate goal in life (apart from starting a family) is to become a freelance photographer.  Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and I hope you enjoy my journey of novice baker, food stylist and food photographer to one-day, successful freelance photographer :)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Phelia,
    You are a true inspiration. I love your photographs, the way you organized your blog, titles of recipes and descriptions. In my opinion what you have done is already high quality inspiring mouth watering work.
    Keep it up and I look forward to more updates from you.
    Cheers!
    Padi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks so much Padi! That really means a lot and is one of the nicest things anyone has said! Im glad you're enjoying it :)) Hope all is well with you guys in India - Phelia

    ReplyDelete