Monday, March 28, 2011

Lights, Camera, Action!...??

I have been a little MIA from blogging recently. Mainly because I have been busy trying to complete my photography assignments, but also because I have been trying to prepare for my upcoming new job. Yes, my very first job in food photography and I am nervous!


I got a call today confirming that the photo shoot will be taking place in a couple of days time. After having gone through the Client's competitors' websites, Ive noted that they all display clean, simple, commercial food photos. White on white pretty much (white dishes on white backgrounds). 


Here are my quick attempts in the last half hour to practise my shots and to ensure I familiarize myself enough with my lighting techniques. This will be a leap of faith for sure!


To practise my shots, I used some left over dinner from last night - home made polenta fries, and 'dressed' them up a bit. The first shot was taken purely with natural light from behind. I used a reflector at the front to fill the area in front of the bowl with light, and to reduce the strength of the shadows. Not too bad.


Ok, now second shot was taken with the only proper lighting equipment I have available - our Canon 430EX Speedlight. Positioned from directly above, but at a 45 degree angle. Again I used a reflector to cast some light onto the area in front of the bowl. 


Personally, I prefer the first shot. I think the texture in the food is more visible and the overall image has greater dimension to it, despite the weaker shadow. The second image looks somewhat flat in detail. 

I need to figure out what type of lighting equipment Im going to need for the photo shoot on Wednesday. I think Soft Boxes are the way to go. At least ill be able to have more control over the direction of the light, unlike if I were to use an 'umbrella'. 

The smaller the light source, the harsher the light. I found this to be very true. 

If you have any feedback, please do swing them my way. I still have some learning to do in regards to mastering lighting in food photography. Wish me luck for Wednesday! You'll hear from me again next week (ill include a recipe for Polenta Fries then, perhaps).

3 comments:

  1. Looks good chick! Your first shoot will be amazing, don't you worry.. The food will be more nervous than you i bet ("I hope I dont look fat...").

    I like the first shot better too :) more balanced light, no bowl shaddow etc..keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hayley!! Agree with your comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled across your ad on kijiji and decided to check out your blog as I live in Toronto and am really interested in food photography as well [what a coincidence ! : )]
    Your blog is really lovely and these look stunning ! I adore polenta, but had never tried making polenta fries in the past--definitely something I should give a try some time soon !

    And man, am I jealous of your equipment. All I photograph with is my Canon XSi and tripod - no lighting equipment whatsover : / However, I do love the lighting from behind in the first shot. Natural lighting does have its merits, doens't it ? : P

    Keep up the terrific work ! Wish you the best of luck on your schooling and hope you become an assistant to a very experienced and greatful photographer in no time at all : )

    ReplyDelete