Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer refreshments

Summer is upon us. Some of my summer favourites - white wine, patio dining, salads and ice cream! 
Here is a quick recipe from mum... a delicious and refreshing salad which incorporates vegetables and fruit. 


Easy Summer Salad
  • Orange fleshed sweet potato
  • Pumpkin or butternut squash
  • Arugula
  • Pears
  • Maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Unsweetened yoghurt (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to bake on 180C degrees. Cut sweet potato and pumpkin into 1 inch cubes. Sprinkle with olive oil, coat and bake for 15-20mins or until softened.
  2. Meanwhile, cut pears into cubes. Season with maple syrup, cover and microwave for 1.5 mins. Allow pears to cool. (You may also choose to leave the  pears marinating overnight the night before).
  3. Toast pumpkin seeds until slightly browned.
  4. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with olive oil, more maple syrup, seeds and arugula using hands.
  5. Serve with unsweetened yoghurt.

The amount of each ingredient is pretty much up to you. I love pumpkin seeds. My brother, sister and I use to snack on them when we were kids and I had not had them since, so they brought back a lot of memories!


A couple of weeks ago, I did some work for Smartbox Guidebooks where I photographed various restaurant establishments around the Toronto Downtown core, met owners and head chefs and photographed beautiful dishes. Watch this space as I will be posting some of those photos up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment